Thursday, November 5, 2015

Traveling to Pisa, Florence and Rome: Links to read and Places to Visit

Like you, my husband and I chose Italy of all places in the world because of its delightful food, authentic scenery and unbeatable history. Of course traveling to a place with too much to taste, see and learn will take much planning; from selective itineraries to meticulous packing lists, but I hope to make the process a little less painful a bit more enjoyable.

Planning and Packing

Make sure you take this part seriously, since these cities have much to see and if you are paying a relatively short visit (less than a month) it will be impossible to visit all the places they have to offer. I like creating a Shared Google Doc., so everyone involved in the trip can contribute. It is an easy democratic way to have everyone involved and list places everyone wants to see. This is also a great way to keep track of shared expenses. Make your own detailed packing list with a section for clothing, personal utensils, and electronics (DO NOT forget a 2 pong adapter). 
To Rent or Not to Rent Car

Well, it depends! I found Pisa, Florence and Rome pretty accessible through public transportation available. Pisa has few places to visit, and as I will explain latter, all main destinations are located in the same Piazza, which is easily accessible by train or bus. Florence is a small town where you can walk to mostly everywhere. Unless you have a reason that stops you from walking, in my opinion, your experience will be better off without a car. Rome is a big place, but the metro has station stops in every main point. Something really important to be aware before renting a car in Italy is that Italy’s car rental rules agreements and agencies are tricky. Read the links below which helped me while I was researching car rentals. I actually ended NOT renting and instead booking a day tour to visit the smaller villages outside Florence (more details about tour later in blog), which I was happy to have done.


Pisa and Lucca

Like I said before, Pisa does not have many tourist points to see beside the Piazza dei Doumo, where you will find the Leaning Tower. The Leaning Tower is definitely a must see! There are several pizza places right beside this Piazza with very reasonable prices (20-25 euros/ couple), but I don’t drink so your bill may bump up, ha. 





Now listen carefully, the best of Pisa is actually visiting a small nearby town called Lucca. Oh boy is this place worth your time! It is only 30min away and you can catch the train heading there in the Pisa San Rossore Station right beside Piazza dei Doumo (about 7 euros each way). This small town is surrounded by an outstanding wall. My recommendation is that you rent a bike for the amazing price of 8 euros for 3 hrs and circle around the wall with a perfect view of the town from the top. You must go to Piazza Anfiteatro which is a circular piazza painted in vivid colors, and have a nice fruity Gelato while there.







Florence

Breathtaking city! Like I mentioned before Florence can be walked from one place to the other. I recommend you take a walking tour for only 10 euros and it’s free for children under 14 (http://mytours.it/en/1169/Welcome-to-Florence-Tour.htm?ref=4 ). It is worth knowing the history of the places you are stepping in; otherwise you will only see bricks and shapes. In this tour we learned about the Florence most powerful and influential families and how almost every pin point in the city had a connection to them and about the different heroic artists of all times and their contributions to the city. Since I routed with not renting a car, I booked a full day tour (http://www.getyourguide.co.uk/florence-l32/san-gimignano-siena-and-chianti-full-day-tour-t7679/ ) which took us to San Gimignano, Siena and Monteriggioni. This tour was worth every peny and included lunch for a very fair price!






San Gimignano: One of my favorite places on earth now. This place looks as if taken right off a story book with creeper plants making their way up the medieval structures. You can find the rated best gelato in the world at Gelateria Dondoli and it’s not overrated!















Siena: The tipical town you imagine any knight tale would take place in. Doumo di Siena is the town’s cathedral. This architectural beauty will blow your brains up! It was nice that our day tour included a walking tour through Siena, since its history is as rich as it can get.



Monteriggioni: A tiny medieval fortress. It will take you 20 min to walk and see everything. There are only like 3 restaurants and 2 stores, but it’s still charming and worth the stop.




And yes, I skipped all museums on this trip (will be left for my second time around).

Rome

You can purchase direct train tickets to Rome from Florence or Pisa. The fast train (2hrs) leaving from Florence will cost you around 70 euros one way (the price of a plane ticket). I, on the other hand, went back to Pisa to catch the slow train (4hrs) for the low price of 20 euros. It’s up to you and the time you have to spare.

You will find many blogs, reviews, and all sort of sites with the places you have to visit while in this mystical ancient city. I had only 3 days to explore so I made my pick. Coliseum (of course), Ancient City, Piazza Norana (got a nice sketch of myself while there), Pantheon, Trevi Fountain (in remodelation when i was there, big bummer) San Angelo’s Castel, Vatican City, Basilica of St Peter, Circus Maximus, and last but not least Altar of the Fatherland. I will only talk a little more about some.

Coliseum: Oh beware of all the tour selling vouchers. This lady tried to deceive us by telling us it would take hours in the queue and that she could give us a “special price” to enter both Coliseum and Ancient City. Otherwise, we would have to pay for both separate. THANK GOODNESS something in her smelled wrong, because it took us only 15min to pass through the queue and to our surprise the price of 12 euros included Coliseum AND the Ancient City entrance. Beware! Plus I’m always skeptic of street sold tours ever since my huby told me about this guy he knew back in Brazil who would sell tours out in the street to gullible tourists and feed them a butt-load of shenanigans! But go in! This place is a spoonful of historic delight.





Pantheon: Must go to this place since it’s one of the oldest buildings around the world.


Castel St Angelo: Please go into this 2000 year old monument! I took the of the St. Peters Basilica through a looking hole found in my blog from this very building. There is a cafĂ© on top where you can have a wonderful bite with an unbeatable view! It’s only 10 euros to get into a structure that has surpassed time and held the walkings of many great man of history.  



Vatican City Museum: well we all know you don’t need incentives to go in here, so just know picture taking in the Michelangelo’s room is not allowed. In my most humble opinion, you respect other's places as you would like your own places to be respected, but I did see lots of naughty fingers getting sneaky shots. Right outside the city walls there is a restaurant that sells freshly made pizza slices, best I tried in Rome! The place is called Alice (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d1935897-Reviews-Alice_Pizza-Rome_Lazio.html ) the fresh basil and mozzarella would be my recommendation!

St. Paul’s Basilica: Just looked from outside because the queue was hideously long!

Altar of the Fatherland: This is the giant white building only 5 min walk from the Coliseum. Just keep noted that no sitting in the stairs or eating in the outer area is allowed or you will be scorned by the most elderly viciously looking Italian officer you’ll ever meet.

All said, just make sure you get some Italian phrases down before you go. Different from Paris, people are more willing to help with directions but public services employees always seem to have a grey-cloud-over-their-head attitude anywhere you go in my opinion. 



2 comments:

  1. Increible Marce estas fotos estan breathtaking! Y ese gelato me mato. Impossible Craving

    ReplyDelete
  2. I NEED to see Florence! Amazing post!

    ReplyDelete